If only one variable is used for the analysis of data we speak of univariate statistics.
Univariate statistics is rather simple as we have to take only one variable into consideration. All other variables which may influence the system are ignored or thought to be constant (or actively held constant).
- Finding out the number of persons being under the poverty line
- Checking the amount of sugar filled into sugar packs
- Comparing the average income of the world's nations
- Checking the growth of plants when using different watering schemes
- Comparing the average humidities of 2 different places
In order to answer questions of univariate statistics we will mainly deal with distributions and statistical tests.